Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Thing #15- Hands On-Line

         You are thinking about taking a class, but there are three different ways to take it: you can go to class every day, take a hybrid class (part online, part in class), or take a completely online class. You’re tempted to take the online class, but is it the right fit for you? Read the following quests to see which one is right for you. (finally an intro!)

Q1- Self Assessment

You should watch this cool video to fully understand the pros and cons of taking classe online and in a classroom:  Michigan Virtual High School

You should also take this 20 question quiz to find out what type of learner you are. This way it can help you learn easier along with a lot of other cool things. Click show me the Tacos.


Show me the Tacos!!

When I took this quiz, I found out that I am mainly an auditory learner but I am also a tactile learner. Here is the description for an auditory learner:

Auditory

If you are an auditory learner, you learn by hearing and listening. You understand and remember things you have heard. You store information by the way it sounds, and you have an easier time understanding spoken instructions than written ones. You often learn by reading out loud because you have to hear it or speak it in order to know it.
As an auditory learner, you probably hum or talk to yourself or others if you become bored. People may think you are not paying attention, even though you may be hearing and understanding everything being said.
Here are some things that auditory learners like you can do to learn better.
  • Sit where you can hear.
  • Have your hearing checked on a regular basis.
  • Use flashcards to learn new words; read them out loud.
  • Read stories, assignments, or directions out loud.
  • Record yourself spelling words and then listen to the recording.
  • Have test questions read to you out loud.
  • Study new material by reading it out loud.
Remember that you need to hear things, not just see things, in order to learn well.

Here are a few more quizzes to see if you are ready to be an online learner. When I took them, I found out that I am extremely ready. (All my classes are online, go figure)

Q2- Gathering Evidence
What are the benefits?
What things were difficult for the students?

See what they have to say about their online 
learning experiences.

     I have been an online learner for around 2-3 years. I really enjoy online learning because you get to go at your own pace to really grasp the material being taught. Although online learning is not for everybody. If you have trouble motivating yourself or if you need someone to tell you exactly what to do everyday and you can't plan it for yourself, online learning might not be for you. Actually I can tell you right now that it is not for you. Right now I am taking 6 online courses through Berrien Springs Parent Partnership for homeschoolers. I really enjoy having everything in one place and seeing exactly what I have to do today and what my teachers expect of me. 

     Also please keep in mind that you need 'self-motivation' to be an online learner. What I mean by this is that you have to be able to get up everyday and get your work done and stay on task throughout your day to get your stuff done. Like for instance, my brother and I both online homeschool, but everyday I usually finish hours before he does. We have the same amount of work but it is hard for him to stay focused on his work. For this fact alone it can take him a couple hours to complete an assignment that would take me 30 minutes. Please note that I do note write this to degrade him, because I love my brother, but it is just fact.

Q3- Reflection

Click the following link for my reflection:


Q4- Skill Check


Check you technology skills by clicking your grade level!
k2skills     35skills   68skills    912skills


No comments:

Post a Comment