Monday, May 9, 2016

Thing #14- Social Networks

Q1- Life Online

I was not able to do this quest due to the fact that I do not have permission to use the tools needed.

Q2- Social Networks in Society

When I took a short survey at this URL, I found that I am most like Will:

You may receive a letter like this when applying for a job or college. (minus the CHOPPED part (hehehe)) This is a list of the Rules of the Road for Kids mentioned in the letter:


  • Guard your privacy. What people know about you is up to you.

  • Protect your reputation. Self-reflect before you self-reveal. What’s funny or edgy today could cost you tomorrow.

  • Nothing is private online. Anything you say or do can be copied, pasted, and sent to gazillions of people without your permission.

  • Assume everyone is watching. There’s a huge, vast audience out there. If someone is your friend’s friend, they can see everything.

  • Apply the Golden Rule; if you don’t want it done to you, don’t do it to someone else.

  • Choose wisely. Not all content is appropriate. You know what we mean.

  • Don't hide. Using anonymity to cloak your actions doesn’t turn you into a trustworthy, responsible human being.

  • Think about what you see. Just because it’s online doesn’t make it true.

  • Be smart, be safe. Not everyone is who they say they are. But you know that.

Q3- Consider This

"Your younger brother Robbie just got a new phone."

Robbie: Hey can you teach me how to use Snapchat?
You: Um, why?
Robbie: So that I can snap all my friends?...
You: But you have to be 13 and mom and dad have to approve
Robbie: I know I know I know, you don't have to tell!
You: Do you even know the dangers of snapchat?
Robbie, Dangers?
You: You can get in deep trouble with snap chat Robbie. Pictures can be screen shotted, edited, resent, among other things, and you never know who will see your things.
Robbie: But they get deleted in 10 seconds so that won't happen.
You: I have a friend named Samantha, she works with the police department and she digs up "deleted snaps" everyday! 
Robbie: That's not cool!
You: No it is not. And it gets worse. Another topic that is getting big with snapchat is sexting. Sending sexual images via snapchat. This can get you in BIG trouble and its not something that I want to get you into. So how about we hold on the snapchat?
Robbie: Sounds good to me!

Q4- Safe and Smart


The Do's and Don'ts of Social Networking

  • Don't publish info that identifies you
  • Choose strong and sensible passwords
  • Don't upload inappropriate pictures
  • Keep your privacy settings up to date
  • Don't give apps permission without verifying first
  • Be selective when adding friends
  • Don't use inappropriate language
  • Think before you click
  • Don't make your online presence all about you
  • Don't mix wall posts and personal messages
  • Use fully protected computers
likert scale

STATEMENT ONE:  Students should be at least 13 years of age to use social media sites such as Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram.

STATEMENT TWO:  Parents should have knowledge of any social media site their children use, including access to the username and password.

STATEMENT THREE:  A social media contract is a good way for parents to set guidelines for social media use by their children.




I personally would chose in order, 8, 10, 6. 

I chose these numbers because I think that a person using social media should be mature but if younger (13+) I think their parents should know to keep their child safe from themselves and other people. I also think that some social media contracts don't set a high enough standard which is why I chose a 6.

Here is a poster I made using Canva for my Social Media Contract. 


No comments:

Post a Comment